At this stage Redline is about 95% complete. I took lots of pictures just in case the painting didn't come out well and I screwed it all up. To paint Redline, I used Dupli-Color car touch-up paint available at your local Checker Auto store. It has been great so far with my past 3 car models and I will continue to use it in the future. It goes on great even for spraypaint dunces like myself. It dries to the touch in like 5 minutes outside. I put 2 layers of primer on, then sanded down the rough spots that showed through, then hit those spots with another shot or two of primer.

I used the blackest American car black I could find, and it probably got at least 3 coats of that. Then two coats of clear finish. A few spots have rubbed or chipped off due to high movement or grinding. I didn't take into account the parts that ground together so perfectly would chip off paint. The joints that were a tad loose cinched up nicely though. For touch-ups and smaller parts I used some Model Master gloss black, and then regular Testors with the damned "Nev-R-Open" caps. The only problem with using car paint is that other paints don't stick to it very well, so you have to give it another shot of clearcoat or not fidget with it too much. On the right-front fender of Chargers there is a little Dodge emblem, so to be authentic I made one. To show you how small this thing is I took a picture with my macro setting through the magnifying glass and next to the head of a pin. I made at least 3 of these but I kept losing them because I work so close to the edge of my desk. I sanded it very thin and it looks authentic on the fender.

The wheels, as previously discussed, were taken from a Maisto car, costing roughly $3.00 or so. This gave me a nice set of actual rubber tires and solid rims to build on. I used my Dremel to bore out the top part of the wheel, and cleaned up the rest with an X-Acto. The custom rims I made are based off of what my '69 Charger model has, which are stolen from a Ford F-150 truck model that didn't pan out like 10 years ago (if all of my models turned out great, I wouldn't have any spare parts!) Just like everything else, I layered plastic, drilled little holes with the X-Acto knife tip, and glued carefully. Carving circles in a circular pattern around a circular hub is more difficult than I imagined. They are attached to the figure by small black screws, and then I added a little bit of grease to help them spin.


These pictures were taken before I added stickers. I designed the stickers in Photoshop and ordered stickers through Delta Star for this project. I picked up a set of stickers from him at last year's Botcon and they looked great. I knew he earned the sticker spot on my next project, which was just barely an idea at that time. Unfortunately, the stickers did not arrive in time to take final photos for the box, so I used my own. I printed my design around a silver foil DVD label. They came out pretty nice, but I wasn't able to print on a sheet big enough to display. I look forward to getting the stickers and will post them here after Botcon. My Charger is looking MEAN already.

The end result after nearly a year of sweat and toil:

<-- PAGE 1

Page 1 Includes body panels, arms, and frame construction!

<-- PAGE 2

Page 2 includes spring-mounted head, roof work, hip joints, interior work & more!


Email